Saturday is the big day! Here is some information that you might find helpful. Also included is summary of your registrations and total amount due. The total amount due should be one payment for concert and jazz auditions to Missouri Bandmasters Association. As always, if you have any questions, feel free to email me!
1. Band Directors: Find the line for your MMEA District at the Check-In Table. Open 8:30 –11:00 a.m.
2. Confirm payment and sign-in as the school faculty representative supervising students for your school that day. You will be asked to sign in with your name and cell phone number.
3. Late Registration(s): These will be processed in the main office. You may check-in with your MMEA District representative and then proceed to the office. You will need to pay the original registration fee per audition of $15, plus the late fee of $25 per audition. Check, cash, or credit card can be accepted. Credit Card payments must be processed by Kurt Bauche, MBA Secretary/Treasurer.
4. Distribute the audition sheets to each student from your school.
• They need to turn in this sheet to the Room Monitor when they go in to audition.
• CANCELLATIONS? PLEASE return these forms to your district rep at the Check-In table!
5. Audition Room Numbers & Location: There are room number sheets and maps at the Check-In table.
Take as many as you need for your students.
• Turn in the top half of the audition sheet in the Option Room
• CAREFULLY tear off the bottom half and turn the bottom half in the Multiple Percussion Room.
• You do not have to go into the Option Room first! You can start in either room.
7. Clarinet Audition Procedures: There are also sheets that explain the special clarinet audition procedure. Again, take as many as you need for your students.
8. If you notice an error or misspelling on the Student Audition Form, we only need to make the correction in the computer database if the student earns membership, alternate, or honorable mention in the All-State Band, Jazz Band, or Orchestra. Please email Paul Fliege (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Monday, December 5.
9. Be ready for a potentially long day. Even if a particular instrument group is done auditioning, some students may have auditioned on other instruments. We must wait until those rooms are done before we can finalize and post results.
10. Call-Backs: All students and directors need to carefully monitor the call back information that will be posted in the main lobby. Information related to call backs can be viewed on the office windows or on the projection screen. ** PLEASE NOTE — If a student misses their call back audition, they will NOT be considered for placement in the All-State Band or Orchestra.
11. In most cases, (except for Clarinets) if a student is not called back they will not be placed in the All-State Band and are free to leave. Clarinet players and directors need to refer to the procedures specific to clarinets for full details. Even though a student may not have made call backs, they might still receive recognition and be listed in Honorable Mention portion of their instrument section.
12. Final results will be posted as soon as possible throughout the day. Results can be viewed on the projector as well as a printed copy on the walls.
13. The complete roster for All-State Band and Orchestra will be posted on the MBA website a few days after the auditions.
14. If you have questions please request to talk to Paul Fliege, MBA All-State Band Coordinator.
FAQ Missouri All-State Band Auditions
When do the auditions begin?
Check-In for Band Directors starts at 8:30 am and the actual auditions begin at 9:00 am.
How will I know if a student is called back?
Check the windows on the main office in the lobby of Hickman High School for all call back postings.
If a student does not make call backs, are they free to go?
Generally speaking, if a student is not called back for a second audition, they will not be in one of the performing all-state groups and are free to go. Some instruments, though, such as bass clarinet, baritone, and tuba do not usually have call backs. See Clarinet Call Back Info.
The clarinets use a different procedure. How will I know when there are no more call backs?
On the final call back posting for clarinets it will say “Final Call Back”. We will also announce this over the PA system.
My baritone player auditioned at 9:30 am and the room closed at 2:00 pm. It’s now 7:00 pm. Why haven’t the baritone results been posted?
Chances are that several of the baritone players have also auditioned on another instrument. We must wait until those other auditions are completed in case a student made the state band on both baritone and another instrument. It is frustrating to wait but the officers of MBA do not want to make a mistake in the postings. Please be patient and tell the parents of your band members that we are posting as fast as we can.
My student just played their call-back. Can we leave to eat and come back?
Yes, but there is a catch. If your student finished at the top of their section they may be called in to the office and asked if they would like to be placed in the band, orchestra, jazz band, or sometimes may have to choose between instruments that they auditioned on. If they are not there for that consultation, MBA will flip a coin and place them.
How to Piccolo auditions work?
Piccolo auditions are separate from flute auditions and will require a separate number and audition fee. Piccolo auditions will begin at the same time as flute callbacks. The location of the piccolo audition room will be posted when flute call backs are posted.
My student is auditioning on Percussion. How many rooms do they audition in?
FOR EACH AUDITION, percussionists will audition in two different rooms. They will do the main part of their audition in Room FA-1 for Option 1, Room FA-Vocal for Option 2, and/or Room FA-Band for Option 3. They will then do the Multiple Percussion portion of their audition in Room 142 for Option 1 and/or Room 139 for Options 2 & 3.
Please notice on audition day that your student will have a top half and bottom half to their audition number form. The top half should be given to the room monitor in the Option Room. The bottom half should be given to the room monitor in the Multiple Percussion Room.
What percussion equipment is provided?
Room – Perc. Opt. 1
Room – Perc. Opt. 2
Room – Perc. Opt. 3
Room – Multiple Percussion
– MBA All-State Band Audition Confirmation Summary for Francis Howell North –
Rob Stegeman (MBA member)
Grant Argent: Jazz: Guitar
Arianna Chaves: Bb Soprano Clarinet
Emily Hardin: Alto Saxophone
Lydia Harms: Euphonium (Bass Clef)
Jacob Lintner: Jazz: Trumpet
Devyn Meyer: Flute
Fionna Pillow: Trombone
Ashley Raster: Bb Soprano Clarinet
Sean Rhomberg: Trombone, Jazz: Trombone
Dominic Schneider: Tuba
Christian Witte: Euphonium (Bass Clef)